||Administrative Assistant/Patient Service Specialist - Surgery/Alexandria, VA
To schedule and register Medical Faculty Associates (MFA) patients; to provide effective customer service during the reception, scheduling, registration and cash collection process. Provide administrative support and some clinical assistance.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Greets and directs patients for appointments, tests, referrals and information utilizing effective customer relations skills and telephone techniques.
2. Schedules patient appointments, tests and procedures using a computerized scheduling system; prepares appointment notices; schedules physician referrals inside and outside the MFA; provides patient instructions verbally or in writing in order for patient
to prepare for appointment.
3. Obtains, document and verifies patient demographic, financial and insurance information using a computerized scheduling system.
4. Performs pre-registration activities to gather demographic information; determines medical insurance coverage; identifies patients with delinquent accounts; confirms appointments; and registers patients into a computerized system.
5. Performs patient appointment maintenance activities, as necessary, to assure patient appointment history is accurate.
6. Counsels patients on unpaid balances from previous visits prior to scheduling subsequent appointments.
7. Collects payment due at time of appointment as well as payments for unpaid balances; prepares receipts for all monies collected; provides copies for reception area, billing office and the patient.
8. Prints forms or reminder cards necessary to facilitate the patient encounter and daily operations.
9. Works with physicians and nursing staff to facilitate the patient encounter and departmentally assigned responsibilities.
10. Clinic patient flow, informing physicians of patients’ arrival and room assignment as needed.
11. Accompanies and/or assists patients to the exam room in a professional manner as needed.
12. Assist physicians during examinations and procedures; includes setting up the exam room and preparing the patient as needed.
13. Maintains patient areas clean and safe as needed.
14. Assists in answering inquiries regarding departmental and Medical Center services and provides information regarding procedures, rules and regulations pertaining to assigned clinical area.
15. Provides indigent patients with lists of alternative medical resources.
1) Make patient appointments
a. Gather information from referring physician(s)
b. Get films printed and pick them up
2) Arrange and coordinate all preoperative appointments
a. Contact primary care physician and request necessary referrals for testing
b. Gather all results from preoperative appointments before surgery
c. Fax information to PASS unit
3) Schedule patients’ surgery
4) Pre-certify all surgical and radiology procedures
5) Send surgical orders to the PASS unit
6) Run physician(s) patient days
a. Gather all path reports and operative reports for post-op visits
b. Prepare charts and bills
7) Arrange transfer of patients from other hospitals (call admissions for bed, pre-certify, coordinate with other hospital)
8) Mail out all clinical correspondence for physician(s)
9) Other miscellaneous duties (medical records requests, order supplies, etc.)
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education High school graduate or equivalent. Knowledge of medical terminology and IDX application preferred.
Experience Two years of experience in providing customer services is necessary. Customer service experience in a patient care environment, to include six months experience in patient scheduling, is preferred. Experience utilizing a computerized patient scheduling
system or computer terminals is necessary. Familiarity with medical insurance and medical Terminology is preferred. Typing skills of 30 WPM is necessary. Knowledge of IDX patient scheduling/ registration systems is preferred.
Competencies Ability to input data into the computer, and analyze data as requested. Must be able to communicate providing verbal feedback in a professional manner. Must be able to follow and understand instructions, and react favorably in all work situations.
Must be mentally adaptable and flexible in dealing with a variety of people.
Supervision is received Administrative Manager and Practice Group Administrator.
||Send This Job to a Friend