||Otolaryngology - Nurse Practitioner/Physician Assistant - Hospital Based
To perform a clinical role in providing surgical assessment and care. The PA will be credentialed according to the medical staff regulations of GWUH. They will be under the supervision of an appropriately credentialed attending physician.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Include but are not limited to the following. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty. Other duties may be assigned.
• Performs evaluation and problem identification of patients.
• Performs history and physical examination of patients.
• Writes orders and prescriptions, interprets laboratory data and radiological tests.
• Provides pre-operative and post-operative patient management.
• Coordinates with multiple services and departments, within and external to the hospital, to provide optimal surgical care.
• Under medical direction by supervising physicians, assesses, treats, and manages otolaryngology out-patient, in-patient and Emergency Department patients from admission to discharge.
• Provides procedural counseling and obtains appropriate procedural consents
• Assists supervising physicians during surgical procedures as trained.
• Monitors patient status and response to treatments.
• Documents findings in the medical record.
• Recommends appropriate therapeutic interventions.
• Provides appropriate wound care management as necessary
• Interacts with consultants, and provides consults, as appropriate.
• Provides education and counseling for patients. Directs patient and/or family to agencies dealing with specific illnesses/diseases.
• Orders appropriate therapeutic interventions.
• Supervises and educates medical students as appropriate.
• Performs independent fiberoptic evaluation of sinonasal disease as well as airway disease.
• Interacts with nursing and technologist staff.
• Participates in the educational programs of the Department.
• Provides detailed patient discharge planning including patient discharge instruction/information.
• Participates in daily team rounding, periodic M&M sessions and department conferences/teaching opportunities.
• Participates in Divisional quality assurance, risk management, and compliance efforts.
Non Essential Functions (Responsibilities)
Helps to maintain a safe, clean and orderly work environment.
• Understands and supports The GW Medical Faculty Associates and The George Washington University Hospital’s mission statement, vision, and values and guiding principles.
• Carries out safety and infection control procedures to ensure patient, staff and visitor safety.
• Responds to customers in a friendly, prompt, and caring manner, maintaining confidentiality and respect.
• Demonstrates positive behaviors toward patients, families, physicians, and all
• Promotes mutual respect and professionalism.
• Participates in Performance Improvement activities by identifying areas needing improvement and taking action to improve, trend, and report through PI process.
• Proven interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with patients, families, physicians and other health care team members
• Demonstrated flexibility and dedication to team involvement.
• Capable of accepting new challenges and developing programs from start to finish
• Self-directed, with sound decision making, written and verbal communication skills
• Able to maintain confidentiality
• Effective interpersonal skills with strong facilitation, conflict resolution and negotiating skills.
The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
NP: A masters degree in nursing and completion of an approved course of study as a nurse practitioner. Current ANCC certification and D.C. licensure as a NP is necessary.
PA: A masters degree as physician assistant and completion of an approved course of study as a physician assistant. Current NCCPA certification and D.C. licensure as a Physician Assistant is necessary.
Some previous experience is recommended. Excellent communication skills required.
Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills. Must be able to communicate providing verbal feedback in a professional manner. Must be able to follow and understand instructions, and react favorably in all work situations. Must have strong interpersonal
skills and be mentally adaptable and flexible in dealing with a variety of people at various levels within and outside the Medical Faculty Associates (MFA). Must be able to do math calculations and input data into the computer.
General supervision is received weekly to monthly from the designated Team Lead and the Chief, Hospital-Based NP/PA, GWU Hospital.
Functional supervision may be exercised over professional nurses.
||Send This Job to a Friend