||Medical Office Assistant - Surgery
Provides administrative support and clinical assistance for Physicians, Nurse Practitioners and patients for the Department of Surgery.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other duties may be assigned.
• Assists PODIATRIST in patient care.
• Prepares patients for treatment, sterilizes instruments, performs general office duties, and assists PODIATRIST in preparing dressings, administering treatments, developing x rays, take patient vital signs, and record their medical history.
• Assists PODIATRIST who specializes in treating foot, lower leg and ankle problems.
• Assist PODIATRIST to examine patients who complain of various concerns, including ankle sprains, ingrown toenails or skin conditions
• Assist PODIATRIST with patients suffering from complications related to diabetes or obesity.
• May assist a PODIATRIST during surgery and provide patients with the directions they are to follow once they get home.
• May also be required to make impressions, or castings, of a patient's feet.
• Podiatry Assistants can only do clippings after patient is evaluated by podiatrist.
• Takes inventory of supplies, equipment and medication, ensures clinical areas are well stocked and ensures expiration dates have not lapsed.
• Position assists at the front desk as needed and receives callers and takes messages as necessary
• Schedules patient appointments, tests and procedures using a computerized scheduling system; prepares appointment notices; provides patient instructions verbally or in writing in order for patient to prepare for appointment.
• Obtains, document and verifies patient demographic, financial and insurance information using a computerized scheduling system.
• Performs pre-registration activities to gather demographic information; determines medical insurance coverage; identifies patients with delinquent accounts; confirms appointments; and registers patients into a computerized system.
• Performs patient appointment maintenance activities, as necessary, to assure patient appointment history is accurate.
• Collects payment due at time of appointment as well as payments for unpaid balances; prepares receipts for all monies collected; provides copies for reception area, billing office and the patient.
• Receives, sorts, opens and distributes mail.
• Arranges, coordinates and schedules procedures and surgeries, including pre-operative testing, pre surgical and post-operative appointments, obtains insurance pre-certifications and authorizations
• Mail out all clinical correspondence for physician(s)
• Other miscellaneous administrative duties
Computer Skills--Touchworks/IDX/Touch Chart
• Manage Call In/Rejected Rx task list
• Reschedule bumped appointments
• Scan information into charts and print information from electronic records when needed
• Prioritize and complete all tasks with documentation if necessary reassign appropriately
• Task or fax procedural reports, labs & reports to referring physicians
• Check task list and process messages if necessary (Follow My Health etc.)
Essential Clinical Duties and Responsibilities
Responsible for clinic patient flow, informing physicians of patients’ arrival and room assignment
• Rooming patients
Accompanies and/or assists patients to the exam room in a professional manner
Obtains patient vital signs, to include height, weight, blood pressure, temperature, pulse and respiration. Pulse oximetry if needed.
• Vital Signs
Able to perform using manual equipment and Welch Allen spot vital sign machine and import results to electronic medical record in a timely fashion
• Assist physicians during examinations and procedures
This includes setting up the exam room and preparing the patient
• Performs tests/procedures
Simple dressing changes, change wound and post op dressing
• Assists in explaining test procedures to patients
• Communicates laboratory and test results to physicians
• May assist with other support activities, to include packaging and sterilizing equipment and supplies.
• Maintains patient areas clean and safe
• Maintains and improves knowledge and expertise through continuous training
• Knowledge and performance of sterile techniques required.
• Provides excellent customer service by demonstrating positive behaviors towards
patients, families/visitors, providers, other department staff, and co-workers.
• Performs other duties as assigned
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education High school graduate and graduate from a Medical Assistant School. Certification or Registration as a Medical Assistant required and required to keep current.
Experience Two years experience of general patient care. Hospital, physician’s office or ambulatory care setting preferred. Experience in Podiatric setting a plus. Two years of administrative experience in a fast-paced healthcare setting. Experience working
with patient records, billing and scheduling in a clinical setting is needed for this position. Typing skill of 30 WPM is necessary. Two years of customer service experience in a patient care environment, to include six months experience in patient scheduling,
is preferred. Experience utilizing a computerized patient scheduling system or computer terminals is necessary. Familiarity with medical insurance and medical terminology is preferred along with referral and prescription intake experience. Knowledge of IDX
patient scheduling/ registration systems is preferred. Bi-lingual preferred.
Competencies Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills. Must be able to communicate providing verbal feedback in a professional manner. Must be able to follow and understand instructions, and react favorably in all work situations. Must have
strong interpersonal skills and be mentally adaptable and flexible in dealing with a variety of people at various levels within and outside the MFA. Ability to do math calculations, input data into the computer, and analyze data as requested.
Clinical supervision is received on a daily basis from physician and/or provider; Administrative supervision is received from Office Manager/ Administrative Manager.
||Send This Job to a Friend