||Charge Nurse - Qatar - International
The George Washington University Medical Faculty Associates (MFA) is a subcontractor for a government contract with ITT that provides health care services for Troop Medical Clinic (TMC) in Qatar.
The Registered Charge Nurse position will provide nursing coverage oversight 24 hours a day 7 days a week for the TMC. Nurses will manage and coordinate patient care in the clinic and the host nation medical facilities. The position will perform a full range
of clinical nursing duties within the scope of a Registered Nurse on site using government furnished supplies, facilities, and equipment within the TMC and will have direct supervision of 4 registered nurses. The Charge Nurse will manage the workload consisting
of scheduled and unscheduled requirements for interface and liaison duties with host nation medical facilities to ensure authorized beneficiaries are properly cared for in the host nation medical care system.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other duties may be assigned.
The Charge Nurse coordinates the overall plan of care for patients. Acts as a liaison between patient/family and host nation healthcare personnel to ensure necessary care is provided promptly and effectively. Familiar with utilization management standard concepts,
practices, and procedures within a particular field. Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. Needs to be adaptive and to have strong leadership qualities and encourage team work. The work schedule is 48 hours/ week based on assigned
shifts (shift =8hrs/day).
Supervisory and clinical duties include:
(1) Manage and develop the Nursing Schedule
(2) Will review and make recommendations to the Medical Services Manager regarding leave approval. Will NOT have the authority to be the Acting Authority at the TMC or with the Customer or Prime Contractor, unless otherwise directed to do so by the MSM.
(3) Charge Nurse will be tasked with the TMC development and implementation of Facility and Outreach Programming.
(1) Covers the Immunization Clinic (SHOTEXs conducted outside of the clinic), Audiology Clinic, Nutritional Counseling and Smoking Cessation Counseling.
(2) Assesses the physical, functional, social, and psychological needs of patients. Identifies a comprehensive medical plan. Implements the plan with coordination with the Director of Health Services and the Medical Services Manager.
(3) Recommends referrals to the Supervising Physician, Physician Assistant and/or Director of Health Services for treatment at appropriate host nation or other facilities. Facilitates access and communication when host nation facilities are involved. Monitors
host nation facilities activities to ensure that services are being delivered and meet the needs of the patient. Coordinates services when other requirements are needed.
(4) Monitors the health care plan provided by host nation medical facilities to ensure effectiveness and appropriateness.
(5) Acts as patient advocate and assists with problem solving when interfacing with host nation medical facilities.
(6) Serves in several areas of responsibilities within the TMC such as the outpatient clinic, ward, acute care room, and other clinical areas as needed.
(7) Takes and records blood pressure, pulse, respiration, temperature, height, and weight. Assists with sick call and appointment requirements.
(8) Monitors intravenous fluids, obtains routine specimens for laboratory analysis and performs standard tests, to include point of service labs (UA, glucose checks, etc) as well as electrocardiograms (ECG).
(9) Provides personal care to include ensuring that equipment and supplies available in the clinic area to support patient care.
(10) During examination and treatment of patients, positions and drapes the patient, selects instruments, sets up equipment and instruments, and hands instruments to physician as indicated.
(11) Applies and removes bandages, binders, simple dressings, and hot/cold packs.
(12) Administers and monitors effectiveness of medications given.
(13) Assists the Director of Health Services, Supervising Physician or Physician Assistant by preparing the patient for examination, treatment or procedure and assists in maintaining patient safety, privacy and the passing of instruments and the preparation
of specimens for the lab.
(14) Monitors status of patient while waiting for care as well as during treatment and post treatment to recognize changes in condition and report pertinent data of condition, medication and/or treatment.
(15) Responds to emergency situations within the clinic by initiating appropriate BLS action and, if ACLS certified, ACLS action.
(16) Prepares and administers medications ordered by a licensed healthcare provider.
(17) Performs nursing care and the other patient care services as dictated by a licensed healthcare provider.
(18) Obtains and documents patient and pertinent family history.
(19) Assists in providing technical supervision to medics and ancillary medical personnel and ensures proper and complete discharge of the physician’s or the physician assistant’s orders on patient care and treatment.
(20) Charts nursing observations and ensures record is complete with all procedures and test results recorded in the Electronic Medical Records System.
(21) Explains procedures and treatments to patients and others to allay apprehension and gain cooperation and support.
(22) Performs duties as host nation medical facility liaison.
(23) Must be able to react to change productively and handle other essential tasks as assigned.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing preferred
- Must obtain and maintain current Basic Life Support Training and Certification
- Must provide CV with credentials
- Must present the demeanor of a health professional
Experience - At minimum 2 years of supervisory experience.
- US with an active/unrestricted /valid RN nursing license. Must have and be able to maintain a
current state licensure in any one of the 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico or the
US Virgin Islands.
- 5 year’s employment as a nurse, of which has practiced a minimum of 2 years in the last 3 years.
- Requires Nurse Licensure to ensure understanding of a pathophysiology, treatment and normal
responses to therapeutic interventions
- Must be capable of handling multiple tasks at once
Competencies Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills. Must be able to communicate providing verbal feedback in a professional manner. Must be able to follow and understand instructions, and react favorably in all work situations. Must have
strong interpersonal skills and be mentally adaptable and flexible in dealing with a variety of people at various levels within and outside the Medical Faculty Associates (MFA). Must be able to do math calculations and input data into the computer.
Reports to the Medical Services Manager
Supervises 4 Registered Nurses.
||Send This Job to a Friend