||Nurse Practitioner - Surgery (General)
To perform an expanded clinical role in providing nursing care.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other duties may be assigned.
• Obtains and documents new patient’s chief complaint(s), family history, social history, history of present illness, and performs and documents physical examination of the body area and/or organ system and/or other related organ system(s) based on the presenting
• Obtains and documents existing patient’s chief complaint(s), history of presenting illness, and performs and documents physical examination of the body area and/or organ system and/or other related organ system(s) if applicable based on the presenting problem(s).
• Under direction of physician, writes orders for testing i.e., laboratory radiology.
• Under direction of physician, writes prescriptions.
• Based on physician diagnosis, counsels patient and/or family regarding illness and supplies patient and/or family with appropriate teaching and educational material.
• Directs patient and/or family to agencies dealing with specific illnesses/diseases.
• Dictates patient visit notes to referring physician when applicable.*
• Completes hospital rounds each morning for physicians’ patients. Performs related physician examination, documents patient’s progress, consults with clinical staff when necessary, and orders testing for radiology, laboratory, etc. Documents all of patient
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education A Bachelor’s degree in nursing, completion of an approved course of study as a nurse practitioner is necessary. Current D.C. licensure as a Registered Nurse is necessary.
Experience Six to eight years of experience or an equivalent combination of training and experience is necessary.
Competencies Ability to input data into the computer, and analyze data as requested. Must be able to communicate providing verbal feedback in a professional manner. Must be able to follow and understand instructions, and react favorably in all work situations.
Must be mentally adaptable and flexible in dealing with a variety of people.
General supervision is received weekly to monthly from an Associate Director, Department of Nursing; or a physician, dependent on location of position; medical supervision is received weekly from physicians; work results are reviewed weekly.
Functional supervision may be exercised over professional nurses.
||Send This Job to a Friend