||RN - OR
||SHIFT: MONDAY - FRIDAY 10:45AM TO 7:15PM
The Circulating Nurse in the Operating Room is responsible for the planning, execution, direction and evaluation of nursing care given to the surgical patient. It is a practice designed to meet a patient’s needs through the nursing process, ensuring continuity
of care during the surgical experience.
||SHIFT: MONDAY - FRIDAY 10:45AM TO 7:15PM
1. Complies with legal, hospital and departmental policies, procedures and position requirements
2. Ability to meet minimum hospital hiring standards.
3. Graduate of an accredited school of nursing.
4. Current WA RN license
5. Current BLS(CPR) certification
6. ACLS required within 3 months of hire
7. PALS required within 6 months of hire
Essential Job Functions*:
Operating-Room Specific Duties and Responsibilities
• Supervises and directs patient care in an individual operating room
• Ensures that proper techniques and practices are used according to standards of practice
• Supervises other personnel in the room and directs or assists as necessary
• Immediately reports any unusual occurrences to charge personnel, documents appropriately in the patient record, reports directly to Risk Management Department and completes Patient Safety Report form if indicated
• Maintains count on sponges, needles and instruments to ensure no retained items, according to policy
• Performs all circulating duties with efficiency and speed
• Supervises and assists scrub tech as necessary
• Positions patient, prepares operative area, and adjusts table to proper
position according to standard policies.
• Has all supplies and equipment in room and provides to team as
• Opens all sterile packs and supplies according to aseptic technique.
• Assists surgeons, anesthesiologists, and other personnel as needed to
ensure good patient care.
• Observes patient for changes in condition.
• Reviews surgeon’s preference cards for desired medications and
verifies same with surgeon.
• Ensures all medications are administered and charted according to
established policies and procedures.
• Identifies and records patient’s response to medication when
• Refers to resource material (PDR, IV Manual) whenever necessary.
• Promptly reports medication errors.
• Cares for specimens and cultures as directed by set policies and
• Maintains records of procedure and reports any unusual occurrences.
• Provides orderly progression of schedule by sending for following
patients at proper times and notifies charge personnel of any changes.
• Accompanies patient to Post-Op or S.I.C.U. and reports to nurse on
• patient, procedure, and special happenings to ensure continuity of
• Provides for continuity of individual patient care.
• As staffing allows, utilize program of pre and post-operative visits to
facilitate knowledge of patient, condition, and needs.
• Receives and gives reports to and about patient as necessary to ensure
• Provides for psychological needs of patient.
• Assists in control and maintenance of supplies and equipment.
• Records used items in proper place and method directed.
• Assists in administrative duties as directed.
• Helps with maintenance of records and statistics.
• Assists in establishment and maintenance of procedures, policies and
• Assists in scheduling of operative procedures.
• Acts as charge nurse as necessary.
• Assists in supervision of personnel and department to provide optimum
assurance of safe environment.
• Checks rooms, material, and equipment for proper care and handling.
• Ensures clean, safe environment through continued alertness to safety
and explosive hazards and aseptic techniques.
• Coordinates with supply department to maintain high standards and
quality in the materials used.
• Assists in control of traffic and personnel to ensure proper control of
infection and asepsis.
• Assist in operating room staff development and education
• Assists in formulation and interpretation of procedures, standards,
• Assists in orientation of new personnel.
• Assists in evaluation of all OR activities, nursing care give, and of
personnel and techniques.
• Avails his or herself in the ongoing nursing education process of the
• Reviews pertinent periodicals, scientific and medical and related
• On –call for emergencies and available for additional duty.
• Accountability and Adaptability
• Assumes accountability and responsibility for his or her own work
performance and those under his or her supervision.
• Observes assigned work schedules and hours.
• Performs competently in new situations.
• Adheres to operating room dress code; neat personal appearance.
• Personal Relations
• Maintains good rapport with fellow employees.
• Maintains good rapport with physicians.
• Performs his or her duties in a professional and pleasant manner.
||Send This Job to a Friend