||Days/Must take call
$5K Employment Incentive
Under general supervision, the GI/SSU RN Staff Nurse provides direct nursing care in accordance with the established policies and procedures of Southwestern Medical Center to patients of all ages undergoing surgical intervention, with special emphasis placed
on sterile technique, perioperative nursing care and provision of appropriate equipment.
Oklahoma State Board of Nursing License for Registered Nurses
BLS and ACLS Certification
Graduate from an accredited professional nurse program (diploma, ADN, BSN).
Minimum of one year clinical nursing. One year of SSU/ENDO experience preferred.
D. Special qualifications:
Good oral and written communication skills. Good computer skills. Good interpersonal skills.
• Prepares GI suite for each case. Assists the ST in gathering all necessary equipment, instruments, and supplies for the needs of the specific surgeon and patient. Checks all equipment for proper function.
• Completes an age specific physical, biological, and psychological assessment of the patient in the holding area and again in the SSU. Assessments to include: chart review, patient observation, patient/guardian interview, and communication with other health
• Documents all assessments in Meditech in a timely manner.
• Transcribes and carries out doctor’s orders.
• Transports patient to the GI/SSU in a safe and timely manner and positions patient safely, using proper body alignment and padding equipment to protect patient’s skin and to prevent nerve damage.
• Administers medication and maintains current knowledge of psychotropic medications.
• Assists Anesthesia Care Giver with moderate sedation throughout procedure.
• Communicates with family or other staff members as needed during case.
• Supervises, evaluates, and monitors the care delivered by the LPN, ST, and CST.
• Performs Accu-checks.
• Accurately identifies and records specimens according to policy.
• After procedure, transfers patient safely to carrier and with anesthesia caregiver, transports patient to the Medical/ Surgical Unit.
• Gives a complete and accurate report to the nurse on nursing unit with addition of SBAR properly completed.
• Assists other team members in cleaning and preparing SSU/GI between cases in a timely fashion, and at the end of the schedule.
• Actively participates in the call schedule.
• Completes Occurrence Reports as necessary.
• Attends mandatory in-services and staff meetings
• Prepares and performs Conscientious sedation for GI Lab patients
• Admits and discharges Short Stay Surgical patients